Thursday, September 9, 2010

Waking Up

I can't remember the last time I saw a surise but I did this morning and I can't stop thinking about it. It was a cool morning, dark and peaceful in the Valley, the best time of day for sleeping. I was waking up thinking about several delightful adventures I had just had, and relieved that my head had been full of dreams again,instead of dust and misery as it seems to have been lately when I slept. Country air clears the cobwebs, I guess.

There are two old dogs that live here, and by old, I mean OLD as in 16 or so years each. One is a cartoon character and other is a giant panting bear, and he is the one who I heard in the hallway. He pants a lot. Like Darth Vader. I opened the door and there he was wagging his butt and asking me to open the french doors to the upstairs porch for him, but when I opened them I realized he was asking me to open them for me, not for him.

Good dog.

Pink and blue and gold and orange and salmon and grey, all of these colors squirted and splattered over the mountains. Fuzzy clouds of silver mist floating over the pastures, and horses horses. Two of them across the way were lying down, snuggled like cats, and when they sensed my presence (although at least a hundred yards away and way up high), their heads shot up like two kids who just got caught making out. Everyone around here has horses, you can't look and not see them, and they are strange and peaceful beasts who sleep standing up with one hoof cocked and both eyes open.

So much for this being the best part of the day for sleeping. On the other hand, now that I have seen this painted sight, perhaps it's time again for bed, and dreams.

No comments: